Friday 17 February 2012

Listen to Him

Today’s Gospel:  And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves; and he was transfigured before them, 3 and his garments became glistening, intensely white, as no fuller on earth could bleach them. 4 And there appeared to them Eli'jah with Moses; and they were talking to Jesus. 5 And Peter said to Jesus, "Master, it is well that we are here; let us make three booths, one for you and one for Moses and one for Eli'jah." 6 For he did not know what to say, for they were exceedingly afraid. 7 And a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the cloud, "This is my beloved Son; listen to him."    Mark 9:2-7

Reflection:  Whom do you listen to? This can well be answered when one asks oneself; whom do I go to when I have a problem? Even this can sometimes be a deceptive question?  What could be still better is this; whose advice do I take most of the time and whom do I depend on most of the time for advice?

Then the next thing to check is this; what is the opinion I have of myself?  Do I believe in myself as taught by my education? Do I analyze things and thoughts, sermons, lectures and news item in my mind so as to dissect the motives and intention, the logic and the truth, before arriving at decisions?

The real problem arises when we are totally dependent on our own intellect and wisdom or on others as if we understand every mystery as they are supposed to be understood.  

The Psalmist having realized the reality of this truth says:  “O Lord, my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a child quieted at its mother's breast; like a child that is quieted is my soul.”  Ps 131:1-2

In keeping with this truth about humans we arrive at a threshold of decision making: who do I trust and should trust? In other words whom do I listen to?

For us it is God himself has spoken for our good and for our salvation: "This is my beloved Son; listen to him." If there is any human being who knows what is best for us, for our good health and longevity, then remember, God knows even better than them all; “This is my beloved Son; listen to him."

Prayer:O that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways! I would soon subdue their enemies, and turn my hand against their foes.”  Ps 81:13-14

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment