Saturday 24 November 2012

Sacrifice of Truth

Today’s Gospel TextPilate entered the praetorium again and called Jesus, and said to him, "Are you the King of the Jews?" 34 Jesus answered, "Do you say this of your own accord, or did others say it to you about me?" 35 Pilate answered, "Am I a Jew? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me; what have you done?" 36 Jesus answered, "My kingship is not of this world; if my kingship were of this world, my servants would fight, that I might not be handed over to the Jews; but my kingship is not from the world." 37 Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice." 38 Pilate said to him, "What is truth?" John 18:33-38

Reflection:  There is time for everything, even a time for asking questions.

Was it the right time for Pilate to ask a question to Jesus? Can you hold a man at gun point or hold a dagger to his neck and ask him to speak the truth?

Can you have the truth in such a situation?

With God, whose love is sacrificial, all things are possible! He will sacrifice his life for the sake of the truth: Jesus knew that he will be killed for the sake of the truth, the knife was pointed at him, yet he spoke what needs to be spoken.

What he spoke was necessary for us and for all ages, for our Salvation, so that we may enter into life by accepting this truth in our life, without which we cannot find Salvation; we cannot be saved.

That confession of Jesus, before Pilate was needed and was necessary for the world to believe that Jesus indeed is God and King of the whole universe and is the one who reigns for all eternity.

Such was his love and dedication towards humanity that in spite of foreseeing at Gethsemane the rejection of the many  down history, yet he accomplished with great pain and sacrifice the means of our our salvation through.this confession of his before Pilate. 

How hardened humanity can be that it still offers its own agenda as a perfect solution for humanity and being deceived themselves they now go about deceiving others, offering humans the panacea of wholeness therapy, godless or occult spiritualities, false ideologies, corrupted theology, etc.


Many are so enmeshed in the daily routines of life that they hardly have time to think about their eternity or to seek the truth that saves.

There are also the many that would rather prefer to walk the beaten path set forth before them by their parents and elders rather than seek what God in his goodness has revealed in his Son Jesus; as savior of the world.

Prayer: Lord, I thank you for revealing to me the Salvation which you offer us freely by your great sacrifice. Help me to value this sacrifice and not let my faith in you go in vain. May I be the servant of the New Evangelization as your instrument. 

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

Jesus Christ is King of the Universe: Happy Feast to you all at DD!

No comments:

Post a Comment