Wednesday 2 January 2013

Sin

Today’s Gospel Text: The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, 'After me comes a man who ranks before me, for he was before me.' 31 I myself did not know him; but for this I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel." 32 And John bore witness, "I saw the Spirit descend as a dove from heaven, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him; but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God." John 1:29-34

Reflection: Where is God or where was God when such a thing happened?  

These are oft repeated questions of the many God bashers and there are plenty of video’s and other writings doing the rounds of the internet which seeks to answer this question in the light of rejection of religion in public place.

Many of them have valid answers but there is a deeper truth which we shun looking at and which today’s gospel passage brings out poignantly: Sin and its nature

How many of us have really tried to understand the scriptural meaning of sin? When we think of sin we only think of the sins that make us feel guilty and many of our guilt is on account of the embarrassment of life.

In the process we forget the key elemental meaning of sin as that which separates us from God.  It means that even if we were to seek him on our own we would miss the mark (Gk. = hamartia)

Further, it means, left to its own humanity will always miss the mark when it comes to finding God and knowing his nature; no wonder we have so many religions and God bashers.  

When one sees the many forms of suffering and terrorism, the inequality in the distribution of wealth and marginalization then we become wiser than the God who created us and would prefer removing God from our midst.Pride takes over and we begin to offer a solution, often based on idealism. 

God has not left us to our own. If we chose to walk in his wisdom, we have only to look to the Lamb of God and turn over to him our life, with all humility and faith, for our answers; "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

Jesus is the Lamb of sacrifice, the visible God, who is the answer that even the wise of the world must submit to for an answer to every dilemma.

Prayer: Lord, help me realize my flaw and my limitedness in knowing and understanding the eternal truths of life.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment