Thursday 16 February 2012

Jesus the Only Way

Today’s Gospel:  And he called to him the multitude with his disciples, and said to them, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 35 For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. 36 For what does it profit a man, to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? 37 For what can a man give in return for his life? 38 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of man also be ashamed, when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." Mark 8:34-38

Reflection:  The God of Salvation speaks; presenting himself as the key to their salvation: "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.  For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it.

I could imagine the great men inviting people to follow them either with a great eloquence or their personal charm or with money or with some intrigue or hope.  Has there been anyone who has invited his followers to be at the receiving end.  Kingdoms and regimes have been overthrown on the basis of hope and gratifications in our days.

But Jesus offers no external hope except the hope of a life saved which has always been questioned; who has seen it?

In this offer of Salvation Jesus proclaims himself as the key to salvation as in Jn. 14:6. It is not just his values or principles or commandment of love or instructions but himself; to lose one’s life for His sake and the gospel’s (which is about Him).

Prayer:  The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Ps 18:2

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment