Thursday 5 July 2012

Saved by Jesus

Today’s Gospel Text:  As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax office; and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him. 10 And as he sat at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Jesus and his disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" 12 But when he heard it, he said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners." Matt 9:9-13

Reflection: Once, when in a particular parish, I was on my regular visit, and I was asked by both my guides not to venture into a particular house.  

This made me all the more curious but I never really had the answer as I inquired with them for a reason. They only pleaded with me all the more and firmly that I should not visit such a house. This made me suspicious and I insisted that we need to visit this place, more so since they had Catholic roots.

When we entered the house, it seemed like a house waiting for the salvation and light of God to enter their home. The family welcomed us with great openness and was happy that we had come and they promised that they would be regular to church and mend their ways. Soon even the grown up children were baptized too.

There were two young girls in that house who went into hiding and finally when I did stand before them they just couldn’t even openly look in my direction. It seemed the comfort of darkness couldn’t behold the light of grace.

But the end result was a marvelous change; a great spiritual blessing and even to this day the great witnessing of the family to the faith of Christ and his power, whether in the church, or in their neighborhood, it even continues in their work place.

 Today, it is as if these have entered the kingdom of God rather than those who are in it and yet not in it. 

Tax collectors, sinners and prostitute encounter and witness more powerfully to the righteousness that comes from Jesus than those who are rich with a self-righteousness acknowledged by men.

Rule out no one, Christ Jesus came especially for the sinners; not that sinners will be saved by virtue of their sinfulness but by virtue of their repentance and trust in the Lord who is able to save anyone who comes to him in humble acknowledgment.

Prayer: “Save us, O Lord our God, and gather us from among the nations, that we may give thanks to thy holy name and glory in thy praise.” Ps 106:47

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment