Saturday 18 August 2012

Miracle of the Bread

Today’s Gospel Text: I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh." 52 The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" 53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; 54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever." John 6:51-58

Reflection: He can’t be giving us pure bread, when the Israelites themselves were fed up with the heavenly manna in the desert. They cried to Moses remembering the flesh pots of Egypt and wanted more than mere bread and locusts.

Christ Jesus comes, not just as the living bread, but as the bread that is going to be his flesh.(vs.51)

It all sounds like a myth, perhaps even symbolic, as some would claim it.  But when at the last supper, when he took the bread and explicitly pronounced; “take this all of you and eat of it, this is my body, which will be given up for you,” (Mark 14:22; Lk. 22:17) He was affirming what he was saying.

So that no one may have doubt about this reality, he did exactly as he had pronounced, giving his life up for the life of the world.

Yet to those who would still doubt, he even performed the many miracles of the bread, so as to convey the significance of the bread, for the life of the world.

The Catholic Church which takes the word of Christ literally, proving in a way its commitment and respect for the Word of God, has numerous documented miracles, concerning the Eucharist, in which Christ has manifested himself as body and blood, soul and divinity. 
These are besides the innumerable non-documented ones, and the many experiences of individuals and communities in daily lives.

It was necessary that men who were dead on account of sin, may have the fruit from the tree of life: Christ Jesus hung on the tree, shedding his precious blood, sacrificed as a lamb without blemish, becomes the author of eternal salvation to all who believe in his saving action.

Regular participation in the Eucharistic meal, which  Jesus instituted, is mandatory for our salvation.

Prayer: Lord, may I value your great sacrifice on the cross, receive you with reverence with all thanksgiving and praise at every Eucharistic banquet.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment