Sunday 17 February 2013

Where do you Belong?

Today’s Gospel Text: "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?' 40 And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.' 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44 Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' 45 Then he will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." Matt 25:31-46

Reflection: This is one of the most interesting parable and so widely interpreted that some have even read meaning into it which are not contained therein.  

Indeed ours is the age of such Isogesis, when we read into a parable or scripture text what we want to read; a self deception which we tend to be least aware of and yet cannot be free from blame because we, even otherwise, have chosen a lifestyle of insincerity and dishonesty in order to achieve our worldly gain and power.  

Reflecting on the parable we have the sheep and the goats and if one understands the power politics of the kingdom then from the positions of the goats and sheep we know which are on the way to destruction and which not. 

The goats are going to meet a fate of destruction and into eternal punishment.

If you thought that the goats and sheep are the only category of people then you are wrong. They could be other categories of people too. 

 “Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and fornicators and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.” Rev 22:15

Hence wolves’ dogs and Swine’s are the other categories of people and they are outside the church and may make attempts to be a part of the church of God.    (cfr. Mt. 7:15; Acts 20: 29; Mt. 7:6; Ps. 22:15; Ps. 59:6, 14

The fascinating aspect of the goats and sheep is that they can be reared together and they seem to be quite comfortable and adapt to each other. 

The Matthean community in which this parable is situated is only concerned with sheep’s and goats, living as one community. They are alike in every way and have similar patterns of existence.  

We are called to be like sheep, living a life of willful obedience to the voice of the Shepherd who is with us to lead us and care for our fellow Christians as desired by the chief Shepherd.

Prayer:  O save thy people, and bless thy heritage; be thou their shepherd, and carry them for ever. Ps 28:9

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment