Sunday 15 July 2012

Workers of peace

Today’s Gospel Text: "Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man's foes will be those of his own household. 37 He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it. 40 "He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives him who sent me. 41 He who receives a prophet because he is a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward, and he who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward. 42 And whoever gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he shall not lose his reward." Matt 10:34-42

Reflection: Jesus the prince of peace! How often, the so called disciples of Jesus, seek to work for peace in the world. Let’s get into dialogue, which is in all sincerity is aimed at a certain compromise, with lies and intrigues to achieve that one goal, which is peace, at any cost.

The goal is not God's will or his glory, neither is it to proclaim Christ: the way, the truth and the life (Jn. 14:6)

In the bargain they would have suppressed, even with violence, subjugated the many dissenting voices, in order to achieve their one goal; peace.

What peace is that which does violence in order to achieve it? What peace is that which suppresses the truth, or rather does violence to it in order to accomplish it? What peace is one going to achieve in hypocrisy? 

The ignoble death of Jesus, the most innocent man who ever walked the earth, is an astonishing proof that a permanent peace will always be elusive to humanity, no matter what their effort. 

What we will achieve is only temporary, and history should teach us not to repeat our overconfidence while seeking to work for it.

But for a Christian, any attempt to work towards permanent peace in society is to play false to the truth and eternal values for which man was created. It is a rejection of the Jesus and his gospel which doesn't promise peace in our society. 

For those who believe in Christ Jesus and the Gospel, to them, even if the whole world which surrounds them would be in turmoil, they can still have this one gift; inner peace. In the reassuring words of Jesus we learn that this peace comes from one’s belief in the truth of the Gospel: “I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation.” John 16:33

Further Jesus assure his disciples: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.”  John 14:27

Prayer:  Lord though I do not understand how you are able to achieve this peace in my heart, but I believe that you alone can achieve it in my life.  Forgive me of my sins and wash me clean and breathe in me your peace. 

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment