Friday 28 September 2012

Let him Speak

Today’s Gospel Text: Nathan'a-el said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." 47 Jesus saw Nathan'a-el coming to him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!" 48 Nathan'a-el said to him, "How do you know me?" Jesus answered him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." 49 Nathan'a-el answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" 50 Jesus answered him, "Because I said to you, I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You shall see greater things than these." 51 And he said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man." John 1:46-51


Reflection: “Come and see.”

We know seeing does not really help us because of our limitations in seeing what we really need to see, of comprehending reality.

I may be traveling in a speeding car and keep my eyes open to see the dangers ahead as if me keeping my eyes open will help me avoid the dangers of life or take preventive measures to escape an accident.

When it comes to seeing ourselves, many people may be able to see us and point many things about ourselves, we too may be able to see ourselves perfectly in many areas of ourselves and yet may never be able to see ourselves as perfectly as we are.

How can we take perfect decisions in life when we do not know ourselves? We may be able to see some of the mistakes we make in life, some immediately, some after some time, some after years have passed and some because someone or something has pointed it out to us. But there may be many which we may never see and never realize. 

How do we know for sure that we have never made many mistakes in life? What is success, if that is the criteria by which go?

One of the most intriguing thing that I have observed in people, is that you point a mistake to people and they are proved wrong and yet they still continue to proclaim or do what is wrong and evil. That’s because they have gained their power and position in society on account of this false thoughts, which society has legitimized and approved as true on account of its own folly or because it is a compulsive disorder, they suffer from.  

If such is the sad distressing situation of human life, then we are living dangerously in a society which approves of evil and untruth and yet life goes on, many a time without a major calamity to shock us and we are comfortable with piecemeal solutions to our problems.

Unless we allow God to speak to us as did Nathanael, who in his zeal to come and see would definitely have failed if not for the revelation of Christ about him, we will fail too.

Allow Jesus to speak to your heart, he is alive and still speaks. Ask him to reveal to you yourself, your true worth and you will be saved from all your troubles.

Prayer: In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears. Ps 18:6

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment