Sunday 2 December 2012

Teach Me Too

Today’s Gospel Text:  As he entered Caper'na-um, a centurion came forward to him, beseeching him 6 and saying, "Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, in terrible distress." 7 And he said to him, "I will come and heal him." 8 But the centurion answered him, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes, and to another, 'Come,' and he comes, and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it." 10 When Jesus heard him, he marveled, and said to those who followed him, "Truly, I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such faith. 11 I tell you, many will come from east and west and sit at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. Matt 8:5-11

Reflection: A school is a great place to be, a great invention of man. Parents admit their children to school in the hope of building their future on a solid foundation.

In school these children could learn either the good things of life or bad.  But it is always a joy for the parents to hear their children or see them having learnt the good values of life and doing well.

It is as if these things which they learn become a pleasing offering to the parents in return for their investment on their children.

Similarly God has sent us to earth for a purpose and in this body, a perfect creation of God, to learn of the good things of life.

The human body is like the school and the various stimuli of life are the many things one learn's in school.  

In the story of the centurion we have one such example of right learning and offering in the school of life:

He has learnt that authority has a special power to delegate things and to make things work and as he adds this to his faith in Jesus, it produces a wonderful miracle with eternal ramifications.

The servant of the centurion is not only healed but he becomes an example of how we can carry our daily interactions of life to God in prayer and ultimately leave it to God to work a wonderful miracle in our lives and those of the others too; for the centurions testimony of faith has become an example for all ages.

We need to ask ourselves; how have we learnt about the marvels of God either through our education or work situation or as parents or friends or brothers and sisters to one another?

Do we, each day, make our experiences an opportunity to know more about God and then in and through them offer them to God? 

Prayer:  Teach me thy way, O Lord, that I may walk in thy truth; unite my heart to fear thy name.  I give thanks to thee, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify thy name for ever. Ps 86:11-12

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment