Friday 12 October 2012

You too Can

Today’s Gospel Text:  As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, "Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!" 28 But he said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!" Luke 11:27-28

Reflection: Some times we hear noble statements from the mouths of the great or even the ordinary and it may require a correction. Some are apparently wise statements and yet when tested against sound knowledge will not stand the test of truth.

Very rarely do we set about discerning the veracity of these statement.

What was wrong with the statement that this woman made concerning Jesus?

"Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!"

Let’s analyze what she could possibly been saying: Lord Jesus you are so great and mighty, you have been doing such a wonderful job that I almost envy the womb that bore you and the breast that was suckled by you. I wish I was that mother.

Wow! This desire for greatness can be the desire of any human being and it is never bad to have noble or great desires but the motivation; purpose, goal and aim of all those desires are important.

Any human being could come out with similar statements communicating an envy or praise of another.

In such a situation Jesus puts things on the right trail: If you really want to be great or if you feel that that is greatness and the reason to be blessed, then you are narrowing my presence and purpose of my coming on this earth to only one creature who is indeed great. I tell you, when I announce to you the message and you respond well by accepting it then you too can be great, mighty and powerful.

It’s simple: “….hear the word of God and keep it!"

Further Jesus must have meant: The womb that bore me did it and the one whose breast I sucked did it.

I may not be able to re-enter any womb again and again but I do enter the womb of your hearts and minds and make you ready to be my instruments and give the pure milk of my salvation, to those who accept my word.

How? “Hear the word of God and keep it!"

Prayer: Let thy word O Lord always find room in the womb of my heart, so that I may bear you to the world.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

 

No comments:

Post a Comment