Wednesday 20 March 2013

Opportunity to Live

Today’s Gospel Text:  Truly, truly, I say to you, if any one keeps my word, he will never see death." 52 The Jews said to him, "Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, as did the prophets; and you say, 'If any one keeps my word, he will never taste death.' 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you claim to be?" 54 Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing; it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say that he is your God. 55 But you have not known him; I know him. If I said, I do not know him, I should be a liar like you; but I do know him and I keep his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he was to see my day; he saw it and was glad." 57 The Jews then said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?" 58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am." 59 So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple. John 8:51-59

Reflection: Truly, truly, I say to you, if any one keeps my word, he will never see death." said Jesus. (vs. 51)

No wonder the Jews reacted by saying: "Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, as did the prophets; and you say, 'If any one keeps my word, he will never taste death.'  Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you claim to be?"  (vss. 52-53)

Living in the reality of death, this statement on the part of Jesus seemed too far fetched.  Their reasoning was sure, and they were based on facts.

We are supposed to trust in Jesus; in every word that proceeds from his mouth and such words from Jesus cannot invite confidence and trust.

Even if we were to look at the followers of Jesus, they too see death; then how can Jesus say that they will never see death?

Death is the inevitable outcome of the mortals living on earth. Did he himself not die or did he give a new meaning to death.

Did Jesus see death? Yes even Jesus sees death but the difference with him and the other mortals was this: He saw death and yet never saw it because in it he triumphed over death.

Death whose meaning always has permanency, as to its effect, now in Christ Jesus, we see that it is short-lived and no longer holds an eternal doom. 

Though his words in isolation, of that event of the resurrection, can be meaningless yet now through his passion, death and resurrection we can trust his words as true, proved in himself and even proclaim it to the world with fearlessness: There is no death in Christ Jesus! 

This is again no abstract thought or a philosophical idea but an experience whose reality one can live on this earth.  No wonder they have been countless who have been bold enough to stand witness by an austere life and to the extent of shedding their blood to prove this experience.

Prayer: Lord, as I dwell on your word daily may it enliven me to stand for all that is true; for thy word is eternally true.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment