Thursday 6 October 2011

Persistent Prayer


Scripture: And he said to them, "Which of you who has a friend will go to him at midnight and say to him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves; 6 for a friend of mine has arrived on a journey, and I have nothing to set before him'; 7 and he will answer from within, 'Do not bother me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything'? 8 I tell you, though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him whatever he needs. Lk. 11:5-9


Reflection: The parable is an apt description of a Christian and why one should ask persistently. 

Someone may say but God should answer our prayers even if asked only once.  

The problem with our praying is that we ask in the darkness (midnight) of our sinfulness as in the parable. May be the darkness is deliberate on our part or not self imposed or could be inherited but nevertheless it is with such miserable dark faith we ask of God.  Whatever the situation, Jesus asks of us to ask God persistently and not to lose heart. Yes, our own miserable situation can make us lose heart, do not give up or don’t switch sides and seek other short cut means as in New age philosophies, therapies and methodologies.

Prayer:  Help me Lord never to lose heart or to give up on you as my savior and Lord.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment