Saturday 4 May 2013

Home with Us

Today’s Gospel Text:  Jesus answered him, "If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love me does not keep my words; and the word which you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.25 "These things I have spoken to you, while I am still with you. 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. 28 You heard me say to you, 'I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I go to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. 29 And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place, you may believe.  John 14:23-29

Reflection: Who doesn’t require a house and, more so, if they were to be offered one free of cost on a platter or by answering a simple questionnaire or with a minimal contribution.

Every individual requires a house to stay in but not all of them would want an intruder in the house to intrude into their space.  Many a times, even a spouse or a friend cannot take that little privacy away from us and hence we may not really share everything within the home of our mind.

We will not mind a V.I.P. for a few minutes to give oneself the pleasure of importance and largely, many may not mind having them in their home even longer.

They will accommodate them with all the fanfare possible, going through all the inconvenience just to make them feel special so that the memories of them may remain in the hearts and minds of the V.I.P., with the hope of a future benefit.

What if demanding circumstances or a difficult or trying situation crops up, then if there was someone who would assuredly have a solution; will we not welcome such a person?

There are times we are strong enough with our ego to carry on with the struggles of life alone with our ideas and mindset.  Even though we may require help more than others yet we will not seek that necessary help because our pride will prevent us from doing so.

But to all who would be humble to turn to him, Jesus offers us himself as the expert consultant of life and much more, by being our joy and consolation, the assurance of a presence that comforts, heals and sets us free:

Jesus answered him, "If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.” (vs. 23)

Prayer: O save thy people, and bless thy heritage; be thou their shepherd, and carry them forever. Ps 28:9

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment