Thursday 16 May 2013

Love More Than

Today’s Gospel Text:   When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." 16 A second time he said to him, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." 17 He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go." 19 (This he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after this he said to him, "Follow me." John 21:15-19

Reflection: The many actions of Peter does not seem to put Peter in the category of the wise nor does his background as a fisherman’s son makes him any qualified for a position in the church of God.
                                      
Who will appoint a Pope or bishop or priest by virtue of them being a mere fisherman, even uneducated and impulsive in one’s ways and thinking?

But God’s ways are different, when he chooses and the same can be said of Simon Peter:

God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong,  God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 1 Cor 1:27-29

What then seems to be the Lord’s criteria for appointing Peter from among the twelve and then to head the ministry of heading the Lord’s disciples.

From the beginning Peter appears to be a sincere man, who seems to respond to the Lord’s action with great sincerity of heart.  In the process, as he had no inhibitions he was the most spontaneous among the dedicated disciples of Jesus.

What is more he was open to the spirit world and spoke his mind out freely and openly. Hence in the process he is rebuked for his being open to being Satan’s instrument and appreciated for being God’s voice in acknowledging Jesus as the Lord and messiah.

Beneath the external boldness was hidden a timid Peter who even goes to the extent of denying Jesus.

In the end what conquers is love; his great love for Jesus!

Jesus rightly asks him: "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" (vs. 15)

It is not just in following the Lord or being a good Christian is enough to take on the responsibility of taking care of the sheep as shepherds. What is required is a deep love for Jesus, which should exceed the love that others together may have for him.

Prayer:  Yes, Lord; you know that I love you, supply to my poor heart what is lacking in my love of you.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment