Thursday 2 May 2013

Know God

Today’s Gospel Text:  Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him." 8 Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied." 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves. 12 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; 14 if you ask anything in my name, I will do it. John 14:6-14
  
Reflection: Man’s search for God can throw up volumes of researched materials and that's what religion is all about. 

What is it that makes us search for the divinity or even the the divine presence in creation? Is it the human insecurities or is it because there is a divine spark in all of us that prompts us to seek him.

Or could it be the human reason which refuses to believe the big-bang on account of its inherent flaws or could be reason seeing cause for the great movements in creation, the natural and moral laws that govern creation and the occasional spurt by way of calamities.

For some the divine could be a charm for material gain, which ultimately is of far more importance to supply their many wants for fragile happiness and or for self-gratification.

Or could it be the desire to live for all eternity the reason for seeking the divine and yet the Scripture reminds us of the contradictory pulls in the heart of man:
    
“He has made everything beautiful in its time; also he has put eternity into man's mind, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.”  Eccl 3:11

Whatever be the reason, the gospel text teaches us that, in Christ Jesus is the beginning and end of all searches for the divine:  “If you had known me, you would have known my Father also.” (vs. 7)

Thus we can also conclude: God fully reveals himself in Christ Jesus and we apart from Jesus, our search for God can only lead us round in circles.

It is Jesus who makes it clear to us that we are under the cloud of deception and that apart from him we can do nothing. It is he who came to destroy the work of the evil one so that we could be under the righteous reign of the God who saves.

Prayer:  "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied." (vs. 8)

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment