Saturday 28 April 2012

Be-aware!

Scripture/Bible:   I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hireling and not a shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hireling and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me, 15 as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father." John 10:11-18

Reflection: Jesus is the good Shepherd who has laid down his life for the sheep. 

When we think about laying down one’s life for the sheep, we may think about the bravery of Jesus to do so.  Bravery is only one reason why one would lay down one’s life. Yet not every form of bravery is worth talking about.

There are some forms of bravery, whereby individuals have laid down their life for a cause and not many, especially those outside of their class, think that their brave action is brave enough to deserve accolades. Some have been brave enough to vanquish the good from their midst. 

Jesus lays down his life in order to protect us from the ravenous wolf; eat me before you touch them. His brave action of laying down his life is a permanent deterrent for the wolf; it helps identify the wolf who comes in deceptive ways, sometimes even as shepherd and sheep.


The enemy, the wolf is totally exposed and only a fool can follow him and take him to be the shepherd or a sound sheep. 

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. Matt 7:15
    
Ho, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding yourselves! Should not shepherds feed the sheep?  You eat the fat, you clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fatlings; but you do not feed the sheep. The weak you have not strengthened, the sick you have not healed, the crippled you have not bound up, the strayed you have not brought back, the lost you have not sought, and with force and harshness you have ruled them. So they were scattered, because there was no shepherd; and they became food for all the wild beasts. My sheep were scattered, they wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill; my sheep were scattered over all the face of the earth, with none to search or seek for them. Ezek 34:2-6
We could have shepherds and sheep’s in our midst, either alone or in partnership, working to destroy the sheepfold of God, by working in contravention of the sound doctrine of Jesus. They eat up Jesus and his teaching and instead teach their ways and thus are easily identified as WOLVES.

But to escape the enemies clutches we require the help of the living Jesus. 
Prayer:  Save me Lord in your great wisdom from the ravenous wolves that seek to slaughter us.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment