Thursday 26 April 2012

Life

Scripture/Bible:  The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" 53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; 54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever." 59 This he said in the synagogue, as he taught at Caper'na-um. John 6:52-59

Reflection:  Who among you would want to drink human blood and eat human flesh? The very thought of having it can send us into a tizzy.

Surely, the focus of the discussion is on the eating of the flesh and drinking of the blood of Jesus and the proposal seems impossible.

But on the other hand, who would daringly assert that people should eat his flesh and drink his blood, with such boldness and confidence as Jesus.  Surely, it is a mission that he had come to accomplish, the mission to give his very own life to us who were dead in our sins.

What does that death mean? It means a sure hope for our constant but losing battle against sickness, calamities, diseases, sinful weaknesses, the daily stress of life, the bitterness and pain of life.

He came also to take the away the fear, the unrest, the anxiety that surrounds us due to the absence of life in us.

His flesh is the sure healing and his blood brings life into our mortal bodies. You need to see it to believe it and believe it to experience it and experience it in order to proclaim it.  

Prayer:  Lord, as I receive your Body and blood, may I be filled with every grace and blessings to face the challenges of life, with your life reigning in me.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment