Monday 30 April 2012

Dedicated

Scripture/Bible: It was the feast of the Dedication at Jerusalem; 23 it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. 24 So the Jews gathered round him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly." 25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness to me; 26 but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; 28 and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one." John 10:22-30

Reflection:  Around 165 BC during the reign of the Seleucid king Antiochus Epiphanes IV a severe persecution arose against the Jews.

The king forced the Jewish people to abandon their worship of God, by desecrating and defiling their temple by sacrificing pigs on the altar and spilling their blood on the altar now dedicated to Zeus.  With the help of the Hellenized Jews he made them give up on their holy customs and reading of the Torah, and also made them bow down to the Greek gods placed in this temple.

Judas known as Maccabees (hammer) and his brothers gathered the Jews in revolt against king Antiochus and restored the worship at the second temple in Jerusalem.  


This day of restoration and dedication is celebrated as the feast of the Dedication or also a feast of light for 8 days, famously called the feast of Hanukkah (Chanukah). The Jews light the Menorah consisting of 9 lamps, each lighted in increasing measure for 8 days.   

Christ Jesus is the true temple dedicated to God and all who follow him also in various degrees dedicate themselves to him in order to become that temple carrying the eternal flame in themselves. He is the candle head (shammus) that gives light to the other candles and also sanctifies the 8 days of life by rising on the 8th day. 

The eternal flame which Jesus, the light of the world has given us is the promised Holy Spirit who is in us and works in us as a never dying flame.  

This flame can be quenched by our explicit rejection of him or through our constant rebellion and obstinacy against the will of God in our lives.  

The Cross of Christ and the daily sufferings of life make the oil to flow into the lamp stead in a never ending measure. 

Prayer:  Lord I dedicate myself to you, sanctify me by your word so that my light may shine forth among men. 

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment