Monday 23 April 2012

Pathway to Salvation

Scripture/Bible: I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hireling and not a shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hireling and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me, 15 as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd. John 10:11-16

Reflection:  If you were the King or the boss or a master what would you compare yourself, in order to get across to your subjects or subordinates, in your work place or in office.  I am sure you would rather speak about yourself without comparison or if there be need, if any, then to some historical figure.

Which boss would compare himself to the goodness that his least ordinary servant exudes or any such servants? You would rather compare yourself to a historical figure or a prominent personality.  Some would even not mind putting up a popular personalities photograph as their profile picture on social networking sites.

In the Gospel the Lord of the universe, the Lord of heaven and earth compares himself to the Shepherd just so that even the least and more so the least and humble may recognize him.

It is a choice that God has made and keeps making in order to reach to the humble and contrite in spirit.  

St. Paul talking about this humility of Jesus even asserts that the coming of Jesus as Man and as least among us was for our sake and for our salvation: “Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. Phil 2:5-8



The options before us are vast and unending to grow and seek that humility which is in Christ Jesus our Lord and even grow in it. The humble will find him easily accessible like Mary; “He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble.”  Luke 1:52 Douay-Rheims

Prayer:  Lord I believe in your word, that in humbling myself you will exalt me, help to walk this treacherous and difficult path of salvation.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment