Tuesday 3 April 2012

Idolaters

Scripture/Bible:  Then one of the twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests 15 and said, "What will you give me if I deliver him to you?" And they paid him thirty pieces of silver. 16 And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray him.  Matt 26:14-16

Reflection:   "What will you give me if I deliver him to you?” this communicates the character Judas, in the great drama that unfolds before us. 

This sort of avariciousness could manifest in many forms.

What will I get out of this? How will I benefit from this? Will I become that which I aspire to be? What will I gain in return for my investment? How is my interest going to be served?

The above questions are not so harmful in themselves if practiced in an ethical way but they become vicious and terribly evil when such things are achieved at the cost of someone else’s life or at the cost of truth. “If I deliver him to you”; is a betrayal of the other and for self gain.

This betrayal may not always be through 30 pieces of silver but could be through slander, gossip, backbiting and maligning. It may not necessarily be for wealth but could be for power and positions, fame and fan following, health and not just wealth. 

There are many who prefer to betray their Lord and master, who shed his blood for them, in order to seek health, wealth and favor, some do it through occult new age practices or through compromise of the faith of Christ. These will compromise the doctrine of Christ for cheap gain and popularity, for security and recognition. Some think that to please people is a form of godliness but ultimately it is a form of greed to want to be called nice and good.

No wonder scripture affirms such greed as a form of idolatry. (Col. 3:5)

The modern day Judases are many but with the Lord there is mercy. It is necessary that one repents and turn to him opting for the narrow road which he invites his followers to walk on, order to receive his mercy; “He who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it.” Matt 10:38-39

Prayer: Lord, may I humbly seek you and your ways and not in the ways of idolaters.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

1 comment: