Monday 7 May 2012

His Peace

Scripture/Bible:  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. 28 You heard me say to you, 'I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I go to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. 29 And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place, you may believe. 30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no power over me; 31 but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us go hence. John 14:27-31

Reflection: I do not know how many really value the idea of peace? And among those who value peace how many value the idea of peace in ones heart, rather than seeking to establish peace in society, community  and nation without catering to the human heart?  

If you have never looked at this question in such terms than all your strivings for peace, freedom, justice and brotherhood is fruitless works, holding very little value as Disciples of Christ. You cannot call yourselves Dedicated Disciples of Christ if you are working on lines contrary to what Jesus does.

Jesus did not primarily come to establish peace in society and this action flows from God’s nature who respects the freewill of humans to choose between good and evil in this life. Jesus as God would have acted contrary to his nature if he would have said; let me establish peace on earth.(Mt.13:24-30). This respect for freewill should have had no place in the church, yet he calls us to recognize and respect the weed among the wheat; even if our generation may have more weeds then wheat.  

When Jesus says that he is going to leave his peace with us, we have a privileged gift not achieved by any human effort but a pure gift of God, given freely to his chosen ones. 

It is not as the world gives that he gives it to us. Which means even the world can give us peace; our world our strivings, the strivings of others, spiritualities in the market places such as the New Age, addictions that give momentary peace, sinful actions and isolation, confinement and elimination of the threatening other.

Jesus’ peace goes beyond the measure of his free and gratuitous gift. It is his very victorious presence which is going to be them who believe him and accept his word for true; a reassuring presence which they will experience in every trying circumstances and moment. One has only to believe and avail from his presence with us.

Prayer: Lord that I may know you and your reassuring presence with me and thus believing I may enjoy the gift of your peace.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment