Thursday 3 May 2012

Troubled Heart

Scripture/Bible:   "Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way where I am going." 5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. John 14:1-6

Reflection:  A troubled heart could be a symptom of deep rooted doubt; it could flow from a certain insecurity, doubt, and anxiety, especially of the future or from a pain of separation.

Our emotions, even steeped in an uncertain future, can take a toll of us. We feel stressful and irritable, depressed, in some sort of pain and distress.  It’s a situation in which we find that people do not understand us easily.  Worse still; they may add to our woes, especially those near and dear to us or we may feel in our hearts that hurt or rejection on account of the cold behavior of the other.

Who can do justice to the deep emotional turmoil we go through? No human court can fully understand the trauma of emotional pain.  

Such is the trauma and pain caused by the separation of those whom we love and care much or of an uncertain future without them. We miss those whom we care for and many a times we are called upon to maintain sanity in our situations. The surroundings prevent us to fully express ourselves in those trying circumstances.

At times all that we desire is an assuring word against the hurting experience that has lead us to this state or an assuring divine touch to release the stress of accumulated strain.

Yet, the solution we desire may not be the ideal panacea for all our ills.

At the same time, we expect from the other who themselves may be up to the brim with their own emotional pains and hurts.

Where then is the complete solution? What would the world have been if without the help of its creator to assure us and still keep us going?

The Lord does it with his providence, irrespective of one’s goodness, as we approach him with total faith and confidence, with all persistence. Secondly, he does minister to our spirits according to the measure of our faith and surrender in him.

Prayer:  Lord, I surrender to you my insecurities, attachment and future anxieties.  You alone be my cup and portion. (Cfr. Ps. 16: 4-5)

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment