Tuesday 8 May 2012

Let me Abide in You

Scripture/Bible: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples. John 15:1-8

Reflection:  “Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away.”

I have often wondered at the fall of the mighty and their straying away from the truth of Christ even after encountering and experiencing the power of his grace in their lives.  
  
“Let no one deceive you with empty words, for it is because of these things that the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.”  Eph 5:6

The answer can only be in the production of fruit as mentioned by Jesus. But the production of fruit that Christ is referring to is not totally in ones hands that one should focus on it.

We can talk about the fruit of the Spirit such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control,  (Gal 5:22-23) yet it is that which belongs to the Holy Spirit and is manifested when we abide in Christ and allow his Holy Spirit to fully manifest himself through us.

They are the fruit of the Spirit not our fruit if precisely put. 

What are the fruit that a Christian should bear; except that a Christian is called to abide in Christ? It is in abiding in Christ that we shall produce fruit and if we allow ourselves to be pruned then we shall bear much fruit. 

Hence the greatest quality that is required of a Christian is Dedication and commitment to Christ Jesus who has begun a good work in us and will bring it to completion that day.  (Cfr. Phil 1:6)

It is through Dedication and commitment we abide in the Vine and draw from the eternal source the sap of everlasting life and will produce much fruit. 

Prayer:  Lord, teach me to always abide in you and draw from your wisdom to lead a life of dedication and commitment.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment