Wednesday 9 May 2012

Limitation of Love

Scripture/Bible:  As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. John 15:9-11

Reflection:  What a way to love:As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love.”

Not a on the spot love or a love born out of any feelings but an eternal unselfish love.

We so often talk about love and give solutions and make statements that claim love as the basis for all answers. When some people talk about religions they have the same to say about them; “all religions talk about love”

Wish love was as easy an answer or a solution to all of human ills.  Yet it is true that love is the answer to most of human ills but not the love that we posses or know of, definitely not human love.

Human love is a contaminated love.  It is like water, not all water is the same, though  it may appear the same and even pure, and some consumed by humans may not really be fit for human consumption and yet no one may know about it but the experts.  What one thinks to be edible pure water, in fact could be contaminated water that can lead to serious internal damage.

Similarly Jesus the expert gives us the hope of understanding the true love which is his love; “abide in my love” and the simple way of doing it is by keeping his commandments. It means an effort on our part to understand his love and get into his love.

He is the only perfect model of love in human history and all who have perfected this love have been men and women who have chosen to abide in his love.  Apart from his love we cannot think of  being imitators of that perfect love.

The saints whom we acclaim today as role models, also had this one quality, chiefly that of acknowledging their source  and strength as coming from that eternal model, Christ Jesus himself who manifests it perfectly on the cross: "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."  Luke 23:34

Prayer: Lord, may your love be poured into my heart my means of the Holy Spirit you have given me. (Cfr. Rm. 5:5)

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment