Friday 18 May 2012

Be Satisfied

Scripture/Bible: In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask anything of the Father, he will give it to you in my name. 24 Hitherto you have asked nothing in my name; ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.25 "I have said this to you in figures; the hour is coming when I shall no longer speak to you in figures but tell you plainly of the Father. 26 In that day you will ask in my name; and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; 27 for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from the Father. 28 I came from the Father and have come into the world; again, I am leaving the world and going to the Father." John 16:23-28 


Reflection:  Why would one ask nothing from someone? Or look at a weaned child, satisfied and asking nothing. Even animals do better. But the human being as he grows does develop this tendency to seek for more and more. 

Man is an insatiable creature. 

He has more than enough in his store house or bank to satisfy his needs and yet he may never be satisfied with what he has.   

If the fears, the anxieties, the conflicting desires, the oppositions, the conscience and the challenges of life would not have been there then perhaps nothing would stop him in his greed for more and more.

He generally seeks more in order to be satisfied or to reach a point of satisfaction, but satisfaction eludes him as the envy and the desire to achieve more makes him blind to this innate need in him.

The need to be satisfied is intrinsic to humans.  But they fail to realize the higher goals and this may sound philosophical but yet true; not to seek satisfaction is to be satisfied. It spells true freedom and freedom is a higher need than any other need. 

Hence, when Jesus says: In that day you will ask nothing of me”, in this he is offering humans the possibility of satisfying their greatest need in him; the need for freedom and thus happiness.

He is free who chooses not to choose because he or she is content and happy.  Jesus came as a savior to accomplish this great innate need in us.   

Prayer:We shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, thy holy temple! By dread deeds thou dost answer us with deliverance, O God of our salvation” Ps 65:4-5

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment