Thursday 24 May 2012

Love Jesus - Part I

Scripture/Bible:  When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." 16 A second time he said to him, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." 17 He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go." 19 (This he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after this he said to him, "Follow me." John 21:15-19

Reflection: In the scripture text of today we see Jesus getting down to preparing these disciples after a good breakfast and what better way than beginning with Simon Peter, the one who was to lead the community of faith.

When we want a change in our local community we normally want to start with the sacrifice of the poor, vulnerable and the innocents. Burn them at the stake, beat them, stretch them and bend them.

When Jesus after having himself gone through it all with victory over the cross of sin and shame, teaches Simon Peter and all generations of leaders, the secret of true leadership; “do you love me more than these?"  And if yes, then; "Feed my lambs."

This call is also in consonance with the two great commandments he taught us: Love God and love of neighbor. (Mt. 12: 28-31, 22:36-40, Mk. 12: 28-31, Lk. 10: 25-27)

In the process Jesus is clearly spelling out his agenda for the kingdom; what it means to love one’s neighbor and how to primarily do it? By feeding them with the word of God and the truth of the gospel but first love God as revealed in Jesus. 

Jesus revealed God’ love in his human body to perfection and the cross is the visible sign of that perfect love.  

The latter commandment is in no way greater than the first. Here in this action of Jesus it is clarified and made clear that the love of God as revealed in Christ Jesus is primary, necessary and of all relevance in order for one to be an instrument of love towards one’s neighbor.   

In this process one may begin with friendship love or the limited human love but it has to grow in that depth of self-sacrificing love which is made possible only in loving Jesus, because he is the perfect mirror of this love.  

Only Jesus accepts our imperfect love and sacrifice and makes it perfect with his wisdom and grace at work in us, at various stages, just the way he did it with Simon Peter at once in the three stages of questioning.

Prayer: "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." (vs.17) Help me abide in your love (cfr. Jn. 15: 9-10)

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment