Friday 4 May 2012

See Jesus

Scripture/Bible:  If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him." 8 Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied." 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves. 12 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; 14 if you ask anything in my name, I will do it. John 14:7-14

Reflection:  What other options do the subjects have if they have not seen the head of state or the king? Rather a more relevant question would be this: Why would the subject want to see the King?

Yes, it would be absolutely foolish to see the King for the sake of seeing the king. To merely see, is a plain knowledge, which doesn’t benefit much but only leaves room for boasting; “I have seen so and so.”

If you have seen the king then in what way has it helped you?  In what way is it going to help me and the others around? What way will it profit me or those around if you see all the head of states of all the nations and yet remain a pauper?

Isn't is better to meet the representative of the king and get the benefit of your work done then to meet a king and merely see him and be puffed up and empty in every sense of the term.

Instead, our God is a practical God. If you meet my Son Jesus then you have met me; work surely done 100%.  Jn. 14:10, (also cfr. Jn. 4:34; 6:29; 9:4) 

But remember this very clearly; do not seek God for the sake of merely seeing God and ultimately only to get puffed up and remain empty. Many saw him and many learn about him through scripture study and theology and are still mockingly empty.

There are also a category of people who have this attitude to see him in their prayer effort apart from his grace; they do well to seek him through human efforts and the innumerable techniques available in the market place and are in all assumed humility viciously puffed up.  Seeking  Jesus with such techniques they boast that they can now understand religion better than before,Jesus better than before and many among them are now set to go even beyond concepts and descriptions of religion into their realm of bliss; which is perdition.

Come meet Jesus and seek him not so much in order to see him but rather that you may be saved; for to be saved is the work of God and Jesus is the one who is the savior who gave his life for us.

Prayer: Lord, I am a sinful being in need of your mercy and redemption.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment