Tuesday 16 April 2013

Breads

Today’s Gospel Text:  Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to me shall not hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me; and him who comes to me I will not cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me; 39 and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:35-40

Reflection: I am often fascinated by the types of bread that are available in the market place.

There could be plain bread or sliced loaf or designed bread or spiced up breads or sweetened bread or diet bread or hand bread or bread made from flours of various grains or bread that are specifically fortified with vitamins or there are the many stuffed varieties, etc., etc.,

It is the basic ingredient of every meal and no meal seems complete without bread. 

In the gospel passage we have Jesus positioning himself as the Bread of Life.

But isn’t it the quality of all breads to give life; for we can’t survive without eating and eat we must in order to survive.  

Hence the bread winner is such an important member of the family that apart from him the dependents would almost be on the streets begging for their daily food.

True, it is the quality of bread to give life but when Jesus claims that he is the Bread of Life, he is claiming life and life and even life eternal, which any bread of this world cannot and never can provide except Jesus.

One of the qualities of this bread that Jesus will give is that we will not hunger for eternal life anymore, not because it will quench our desire for it; a desire in every human heart, but instead it will satisfy this desire for the eternal life.

Each one who has found it will assert in their hearts that they have found the source of eternal life and shall eat and be satisfied.

Whereas, while Adam ate of the fruit for the same purpose, so as too desire the eternity of God but Jesus gives of himself on the tree of life (cross) so that we may live in the very life of God eternal.

Prayer:  Let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, the son of man whom thou hast made strong for thyself! Then we will never turn back from thee; give us life, and we will call on thy name! Restore us, O Lord God of hosts! Let thy face shine, that we may be saved! Ps 80:17-19

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment