Saturday 20 April 2013

Know the Shepherd

Today’s Gospel Text:  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; 28 and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one." John 10:27-30

Reflection: Whose voice do these sheep follow? Is it not the voice of Christ Jesus? 

Is he alive or dead? He is indeed alive

Is he with us or not? Though he is alive, visibly he is not with us, but invisibly he is with us, yet in all this he is visible to those who seek him earnestly.

If we have to listen to his voice then, how would modern psychiatry look at it? They may say, if you are hearing voices then you have a psychological problem and may bracket you with similar cases of paranoids.

Now there are various ways we can hear the voice of our beloved but prior to knowing we need to have him as our beloved.

We cannot have someone as our beloved without spending time with the person; thru prayer, word and sacrament and fellowship with his chosen ones.

When we do the above then even in our quite moments it will be moments when the beloved speaks through these interactions of daily life.

He the shepherd could then speak even through others and through creation, but they are not primary modes through which he speaks.  He speaks through them because we know him and thus we are able to pick up his voice through these intermediaries too, who may occasionally or always imitate him.

It is like a person telling me that I sometimes hear my father speak through you because you resemble so very much like him or the way you express is like him and he used to use similar phrases or had similar characteristics.

Thus, by first knowing the beloved we are able to hear his voice everywhere we go and at anytime.

It can rarely happen that we should hear the beloved speak through intermediaries, whether it be the poor or the marginalized or be it anyone or anything, if we do not know the beloved Shepherd intimately.

Prayer:  Thank you Jesus for opening my eyes to your wisdom, let me seek to know you and your love so that I may see your presence everywhere and listen to your voice wherever I go.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment