Monday 29 April 2013

World’s Peace

Today’s Gospel Text: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. 28 You heard me say to you, 'I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I go to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. 29 And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place, you may believe. 30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no power over me; 31 but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. John 14:27-31

Reflection: What can the world offer?

Some say that there is no such word as impossible and they sincerely believe so with great confidence in themselves and their abilities, which are often based on false hopes.

Among the many hopes that the world offers is also the hope of a concrete happiness and peace:

You give people gifts and they will be glad, in other words, they will be happy with gifts they have received and many may even enjoy a sense of peace because their deep longing for a particular gift is fulfilled.

People are happy when they have that extra wealth or money, because that also offers them the freedom to chose and buy what they want in life.

People are happy when they have power or given the right to exercise authority over others. The recognition gives people the kick to be happy and they are at peace.

One of the greatest of peace is enjoyed when people are able to satisfy their desires, no matter how inordinate it may be.

You can also enjoy a great bounty of peace by New Age techniques and spiritualities or even by adopting psycho –social methodologies which are often based on deceptive philosophies and ideas.

But the effect of fulfilling all these desire, in the long run, is almost always filled with evil and torment and in the ultimate end an eternal damnation filled with torture and unrest.

In all these, peace is a short term outcome of immediate gratification of the deep inner desires and normally lasts till the oncoming of the next cycle of hunger and thirst.  

When Christ Jesus gives us the peace, he seals it with his eternal wisdom and sacrifice based on truth. His precious blood cleanses us of every dead work that brings about unrest and upheaval.  

His peace is lasting and eternal, given to those who ask for it, also by living the gospel way of life.

Prayer: Lord, I need your peace in order to live and act as your instrument.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment