Tuesday 23 April 2013

Who is God?

Today’s Gospel Text:  And Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45 And he who sees me sees him who sent me. 46 I have come as light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. 47 If any one hears my sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. 48 He who rejects me and does not receive my sayings has a judge; the word that I have spoken will be his judge on the last day. 49 For I have not spoken on my own authority; the Father who sent me has himself given me commandment what to say and what to speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has bidden me." John 12:44-50

Reflection: The vastness of God, his beauty and grandeur, his omnipotence and omniscience who has comprehended and can ever comprehend.  

It would be foolishness for humans to contain God in their limited vocabulary or mind even though we must communicate to one another about him and for our own good.

People deep down in their hearts having felt the need for God have invented their own gods and religions, and even in our day we have people who still keep creating gods or make themselves a god.

Even the atheists are gods in themselves, either worshipping their own ideas or expect people to worship their concept of life. 

So too the humanists of various hues and shades think that they do a great service to humanity by giving humanism precedence over the unjust or evil gods in which their imaginations were formed in.

The Christian world view is very clear, you cannot arrive at the knowledge of God and his nature by human reasoning’s alone, unless we are assisted by divine grace, which includes his revelation.

Hence the prerogative is God’s and we know from scripture that it is out of love for humanity that he ultimately chose to become one like us to help us know him and what is more he reconciles we the enemies of God to himself, by the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.

Jesus is the complete revelation and salvation of God to an imperfect humanity doomed to eternal damnation. 

In Jesus God becomes one like us in all things in order that we may know him and what is more he saves us too by not only revealing to us the demands of God but by becoming our assistance to walk in his footsteps:

"He who believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And he who sees me sees him who sent me. I have come as light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness." (vs. 44-46)

Prayer:  Lord, I believe that you are the Son of God come to save us from our sinfulness.Help me walk always believing in you. 

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment