Sunday 28 April 2013

Love for his Beloved

Today’s Gospel Text:  He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, "Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?" 23 Jesus answered him, "If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love me does not keep my words; and the word which you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me. 25 "These things I have spoken to you, while I am still with you. 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. John 14:21-26

Reflection: Something’s in life are precious and is not easily shared with anyone; be it the secrets of our hearts or the material wealth we posses or a special seat or a plate or a cup.

But these very things we may share with someone whom we may love and care for:

Thus you have parents sharing their belongings with children and a couple sharing their things with each other or siblings too following the same regiment.

We could have teachers who could be sharing their knowledge either freely or with the select students over whom they are employed to deliver, but to his chosen select he delivers extra. 

Just like the parent towards their beloved children or a teacher towards their chosen pupil likewise Jesus makes a choice to manifest himself towards his chosen ones.

Who are his chosen ones? Are they the ones who have experienced his manifestation or are they the ones who make a choice to follow him, by loving him, which they will do by following his commandments:

He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." (vs. 21)

The process is clear: First, know the Lord and his commandments; not just the Ten Commandments but the commandment of listening to Jesus and his teaching, the living voice and what is written in Scripture as passed on to us through the great tradition of the church.

Then as one follows the Lord and his commandment, one will thus prove that they love the Lord and are willing to walk in the footsteps of the Lord.

Then will the Lord love them and manifest himself.

It is not a process that follows the liner movement but a process that follows a cyclic movement, in ever greater and increasing measure as one constantly chooses to live the commandments of Jesus out of love for him.  Thus Jesus will manifest himself to them till they achieve the growth that God wants them to have.

Prayer: Teach me thy way, O Lord, that I may walk in thy truth; unite my heart to fear thy name. Ps 86:11

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment