Thursday 25 April 2013

God our Rock

Today’s Gospel Text: "Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way where I am going." 5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. John 14:1-6

Reflection: The mystery of the human heart which seeks its own security amidst the vagaries of life is baffling, many a times in ways unknown to them.

We could be insecure about the deep inner need to be loved and accepted by others. This want could be sought out by seeking the approval of people in authority:  Thus you have the politicking in the work environment seeking to grab attention of the higher ups and their approvals.

This could be manifest with overtones of jealousy and envy which can result in severe damage to the victims of such a lash out.

All these expressions only communicate the deep inner need of every human being gone astray or manifesting uncontrollably.

Likewise this insecurity could lead us into acts and behavior patterns contrary to the normal standards of society. It could even be bouts of attention seeking behavior or other forms of it.

Some who know the art do excellently well in fields of learning, sports and other extra-curricular activities and some even seem secure in their achievements.   

It is as if they have found their security and are at peace, as long as no one challenges them. The moment they are challenged or find a competitor challenging their positions they become insecure.

Money, wealth and assets add well towards the satisfaction of these deep insecurities. The more smoothly they keep flowing in ever increasing ratio the greater the satisfaction. 

Those who are insecure could exhibit frustration and irritation, leading to addictive bondage's and they find it difficult to cope with challenges of acceptability.

God knows best that every individual goes through these inordinate desire for a sense of security and in order that we do not seek it in the wrong and sinful things of life he gives us Jesus as our firm rock to rest securely on.

Every assurance of Jesus, including the one in today gospel is aimed at making us secure with the right kind of vision and happiness in life:  "Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me.” (vs.1)

Prayer: Incline thy ear to me, rescue me speedily! Be thou a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me! Ps 31:2

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment