Monday 22 April 2013

Shepherds Voice

Today’s Gospel Text:  It was the feast of the Dedication at Jerusalem; 23 it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. 24 So the Jews gathered round him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly." 25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness to me; 26 but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; 28 and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one." John 10:22-30

Reflection: One of the most humorous aspect of life is when people ask you a question and you know for sure that they would not believe and invariably they will not.

And they will ask you again and again, requiring of you and even reprimanding you for not speaking the truth.  In other words the answer they expect is the answer that is in their mind.

Simply put: they expect an answer which is a lie!

Such is the nature of truth too; the highest truth about God and his existence, his nature and his intervention in creation. Humans down the ages have distorted it, sometimes beautifully. 

The majority prefer the God of their imagination and so whatever truth we may have of the one true living God whom Jesus has revealed, even proving by the greatest ever sacrifice of the cross, is distorted. 

A distorted lie is preferable and hence the Gospel has met with obstacles wherever it is proclaimed. The worst is when men in authority in the church have distorted this message and reduced it to a social agenda, calling for a brotherhood of humanity based on distorted lies.

Such a house will definitely not last but the damage has been done even as a severe judgment awaits these false prophets whose god is their stomach and their self-glory.

Hence, to be focused on only the Jews as breakers of this norm is another distortion,  their attitude of doubting Jesus and his Christhood should be an eye-opener for each one of us to check our conscience and ask whether we are sincere in seeking God and his wisdom, to guide us into the right path.

It is again a call to develop the gift of discerning the voice of the Shepherd who guides us amidst the clutter of the many voices that speak, some even with the greatest sense of logic but based on a wrong premise.

May the Lord in his mercy, allow not his chosen to go astray but strengthen them to listen to his voice.

Prayer: May I seek you Jesus and your voice to guide me, in all that I do.

DD = Dedicated Discipleship:  Come grow in the Lord with us

No comments:

Post a Comment